File size and interval?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by RBEmerson, Jun 11, 2017.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

(Rev. 1.15) Using 1080p 60 fps, I started the camera running and came back to it 5+ hours later (external power supply).

Checking the SD, I found many files, each covering 3 minutes. Played back, the files seem to be seamless or close to it.

The question is; is there a setting controlling the duration of each file (e.g., 30 minutes? 60 minutes?)?

2. Digi35

Digi35 New Member

Hello .
    Make the loop recording off.
    Then the recording goes up to 4GB file big.
    Greeting..

Troy and RBEmerson like this.
  3. RBEmerson

Oh, duh... why didn't I think of that?

Thanks!

Troy likes this.
  4. zigzager

zigzager New Member

It is not such a bad thing as it might appear at first. It may save your video when an unexpected card error occurs or you battery fails. In such a case only last 'bit' will not be saved. Otherwise the whole video would be possible impossible to play back.
    Anyway...from my experience you can seamlessly re-connect everything in post-editing.

Troy likes this.
  5. RBEmerson

Er... not so seamless... see my demos. The cross-fade in the middle exists to cover over a gap between one file and the next.

6. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Hi newbie here has anyone found how to make the files larger??

7. RBEmerson

The 4 GB file size driven by a FAT/exFAT file system limitation There is no work-around.

corallino likes this.
  8. JAY11

JAY11 New Member

I flashed 1.21 on my sj7 star. A very huge problem occurred to me. When the sd card was full, it deleted the older files to accommodate the new files. I didn't know about this as the camera was mounted to helmet. I found it out today when I ran a recovery program on the card. It indeed showed the old files (which means the camera DID record) but the files were completely unrecoverable.

9. RBEmerson

If you were recording in loop mode and filled the SD, you should be able to find only a few file fragments, with the rest of a complete file being overwritten.

10. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

JAI11, that's exactly what for the Loop recording is meant. If you don't like it, then just don't use the Loop recording mode.
    It is good for chasing for some rare occurrences like traffic accidents, some remarkable moments on the road, etc, letting the camera to work constantly (without worrying, that the card gets full before the real action begins) until the desired incident is captured. Then you should switch to another memory card or stop recording, to preserve this precious recording.

11. Zach Tate

Zach Tate New Member

Hey RBEmerson, were you able to fix the loss in video between files? I do long shoots on the SJ6 and notice the same issue. It is extremely annoying when you are trying to sync 2 cameras up at the same time. I also notice the gyro stabilization resets on each file which causes the entire image to be crooked after the first 4gb file. Seems a bit ridiculous. GoPro does not seem to have the same issue on any of their cameras.

I have done many tests - see attached photo.

Attached Files:

12. Delta Echo

Delta Echo New Member

That seems like the sort of thing that could be fixed in a firmware update, no?

13. RBEmerson

Please ignore the above post. I was a total newbie at the time, and suffering from a "brain burp", too.

There is no video gap between files during playback. There is a brief (2 frames at the end of a file)
    audio gap - this should be something that can be fixed with a firmware change.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Troy likes this.
  14. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Although the audio gap at the end of the file has already been fixed in the last firmware, we recommend using an earlier firmware version as we received many reports of bugs after some perfomance tweaks in certain resolutions that may have affected the rest of the resolutions. Ambarella and SJCAM are working together to make the next firmware more stable.

15. RBEmerson

The gap sounds like a small click. If the soundtrack includes music when the files are spliced together, the click won't be noticed. For the people who don't want the click, you can try copying the last frame with audio and splice in only the audio for those two frames. Or try doing that with Audacity. I haven't tried it, but it should be possible - the hard part will be copying exactly one video frame's audio content. Delete the silence at the end of the clip, and paste in the copied frame twice. Sha-zam - magic!