faulty SJ8pro

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by kamkar, Nov 16, 2018.

1. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Seem like i just got a dud camera in the door from Amazon. :confused:

I unpacked it, put in a SD card and then put it on the charger ( use a old 1.3 A phone charger )
    After a hour i turned it on to look at what firmware was on it ( 1.2.4 as i recall so needed to go DL new firmware )

So now + 2 hours later i want to format the memory card in the camera while still on charger, but now the camera can not turn on at all.
    During charging the red low voltage warning LED was on but it have now turned off, so i tried to measure voltage on the battery and it is 4.2 volts so it should be charged.
    But still nothing i can do with the camera now, when i put it on the charger the red LED come on but shut off after a few minutes, but that's also the only sign of life in my SJ8 pro.

Just with battery the camera do nothing, removing battery and putting it back in don't help at all

Looking at little manual in box or online manual from SJcam site give me no alternatives to try, i have also tried with no memory card, and with 2 other U3 cards.

2. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Okay i seem to get nowhere with this one, so i am going to RMA it with Amazon now.
    Too bad i had a nice recording session planned for tomorrow, but that will have to be with another camera now. :(
    Lets hope i have better luck with the replacement.

3. kamkar

kamkar Elite

No replacement, monetary refund.

4. kamkar

kamkar Elite

On a hunch i found direct USB and ELF file for the 8pro, and it also look as if i can upgrade the camera firmware via that route.
    But still after that the camera remain dark and no response to anything i try.

Damn annoying, and at best i can get my money back from Amazon in 2 weeks or so.

5. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Just curious about what old charger did you use?
    USB type C is rather new standard, there should not be old USB-C chargers.

6. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Yeah the "C" end are new, but the regular A USB plug in the other end plug into anything, i charge my USB C phone in the car on a generic 2.1 A charger.
    But i have tried 3 different chargers the last one the USB C wall charger that came with my phone, but at that time i was just desperate to get the camera working, and pretty sure before i plugged in that it would be to on use cuz as my measurement on the battery indicate it is already fully charged at 4.1 volts.

I really like USB C but you can still use any old charger, but with that you will of course not get the newfangled fast charge rates / voltages.

If i had the cable ( which i don't ) i would have tried one of the USB C plugs on my computer, but i don't have a USB C to USB C wire, at least i don't think so, dident look that close in the motherboard box when i build my new computer last week.

7. SiB77

SiB77 Member

Try holding power button for 13 seconds and press it again. That is hard boot.

8. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Tjx but i have tried this a 100 times, but it also don't work.