External Stereo Mic Adapter for SJ8

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by nianeko2, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Let's be honest, SJCAM does not advertice or recommend (nor even list as an option) using external mic together with external power supply.

2. Oleg Gorfinkel

Oleg Gorfinkel New Member

Correct, they don't, and that in itself is a product development failure. I realize SJ8 is an "action" camera, so the main intention is for it to be used on battery, but still, the external mic + power requirement is such a common need that it is hard to justify not having implemented it in a good way. There is a very large market of educators and lecturers who are pining for a compact, capable, go-anywhere camcorder that will allow them to record their presentations, and of course they care about good sound. What was SJCAM thinking to have botched such an important feature? GoPro at least tried to take care of this, albeit in their characteristically expensive and complicated way, by having a brick of a dongle about half the size of the camera itself that does the analog-to-digital conversion off-camera and costs $50. When all is said and done, GoPro's solution is more than twice the price of SJCAM, but at least it works. SJCAM was so close to beating the competition decisively, but instead, ends up driving away aspiring and admiring users like me.

As for honesty, how about SJCAM's reply to my support ticket, where they tell me that this function is not supported by their SOFTWARE? That was dishonest, indeed. And when I asked a follow-up question, pointing out that this issue has nothing to do with firmware, they simply ignored it.

I do very much appreciate YOUR interest and help in getting to the bottom of this problem. I wish SJCAM staff had the same attitude...

I will certainly try to record using a power bank, as you have suggested, and report back when I have the answer.

Thank you!

3. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Did you try to record at PAL framerates? Was there any changes?

4. Oleg Gorfinkel

Well, guess what... When recording at 50 fps, the noise frequency becomes 50 Hz (see attached screenshot). So, now we know the real origin of the noise, and it's coming from the video circuit inside the camera, after all. The question for SJCAM engineers, if they ever get around to looking at this issue, is why the noise is being picked up by the external mic circuit, but not by the internal mic.

By the way, I wanted to ask you, what program did you use to display the waveform in the screenshot you posted earlier?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  5. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Ok, now it's clear, that the noise is not coming form the power grid and improving the power source wont help.
    The software is WaveLab (by Steinberg). Yours is from Audacity, I see.

Oleg Gorfinkel likes this.
  6. Oleg Gorfinkel

Yes, Audacity all the way. :)

Thanks for all your help!