External Microphones, Etc.

Discussion in 'Mounts, Cases, Cables, Mics, Etc' started by shootingforfun, Apr 26, 2017.

1. dbhost

dbhost New Member

For those that are waiting on my results for using the sjcam official cable as in clipping the mic and off of the sjcam cable and soldering the adapter in, my microphone was ordered on eBay on the cheap and was shipping from China to Texas so my anticipated delivery time fall somewhere between April 4th and April 24th this year. I am terribly sorry this is taking so long but I want to make sure this is right and I honestly don't want to pour a ton of money into this in case it's a mistake. I must admit I don't have the skill or patients to solder on that Ten Pin back end of the mini USB connector. If I was better skilled this would have been done a while ago. And I probably would have the power input as well. Sjcam would do well to offer the microphones the mic adapter cables and mic adapter cables with power input. Just some thoughts for product ideas I know I would buy one actually I would buy a couple. Because if those adapters were easier to come by I would certainly buy another sj6 Legend. One for handheld vlogging, and one 4 dash cam.

2. dbhost

dbhost New Member

*UPDATE* My shipment from China arrived! As 2 nights ago, after work. I haven't had a chance to get into the shop to clip and solder. I have been testing this mic against the SJ6 Legend, and it seems to work. Now to sacrifice this setup so I can get the remote mic configuration I wanted in the first place...

Yet another nudge / note to SJCam, your customers want an ADAPTER to allow standard 1/4" or 3.5mm microphones to be used with your cameras, not just a pre wired lavaier. The main point is getting some distance between speaker, and camera right? Can't do that while tethered with a cable!

FWIW, if the guys that are succeeding in making the adapters, especially the ones with USB power at the same time wanted to, they could make some extra money selling them!

3. ShaneW

ShaneW New Member

Is there anyone that is making external mic adapter cables for the SJ7 star? I will pay someone if they can make me one! I have spare cables I can even send! Reply on here or email me at hayate.kyousuke@gmail.com

4. dbhost

dbhost New Member

I have succeeded in building my own SJCam SJ6 Legend to 1/4" Mono jack adapter! Yes I know most people will use 3.5mm, but I needed to adapt to a wireless lavalier system that uses 1/4".

Process was simple once I resigned myself to cutting a factory SJCam mic..

Step #1. Order an SJCam official mic on Ebay for as cheap as possible. I paid $9.75 with free shipping from China. I just had to wait.

Step #2. I ordered a Radio Shack 1/4" Mono Inline jack 2 pack for $2.00 + $3.00 shipping.

Step #3. Clip the mic head off of the SJCam external mic.

Step #4. CAREFULLY pull back the tweed jacket. Singe the fraying ends with a lighter to stop the fraying.

Step #5. CAREFULLY stip the jacket to expose the wires. There are 2 wires. Plain copper, and one set of strands that is coated with some red insulator that you can not strip off. No problem.

Step #6. Spread the wires apart and tin both wires, insuring the red wire strands get hot enough to burn off the red stuff.

Step #7. Feed the sine through the jacked of the jack, and tie a relief knot in it.

Step #8. Solder the red wire to positive (tip) and copper wire to negative (ring) on the jack.

Step #9. Assemble jack boot etc... and insure the tweed jacket is WELL inside the boot.

Step #10. Test.

Step #11. Fill the excess gap in the jack's boot with either clear or black RTV type silicone sealant.

5. dbhost

dbhost New Member

Okay I shall been posting the video of my process yesterday. Unfortunately I also singed the protective outer covering of the cable but it works fine. Please forgive the quality of video out of the sj6 I was only concentrating on audio hit that point and haven't bothered with any camera settings.

Troy likes this.
  6. Nathyn

Nathyn New Member

The link for the photo is broken, but people like me definitely want to vlog with SJCams. We want to put our SJ6 and SJ7 cameras into a cage and be able to connect a microphone, so a very short USB to 1/8" adapter would be a simple fix. Anymore info on this, because I'd love to get it to use with my mic. I want to make this kind of set up, but with my SJ6 and 7. I'm using a Boya By-MM1.

[​IMG]

-Nate

7. ArtursO

ArtursO New Member

Is there a way how non-original external mic could work on SJCAM 8 PRO?

Attached Files:

8. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

What is the white cable of this photo?

9. ArtursO

ArtursO New Member

It is 3.5mm to Type-C

10. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

Can you use this at SJ8?

11. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Nianeko's video in post #36 shows a different configuration using Pin 1 and 2 (ground) for the audio so I am really confused as to which method to follow? I have a 3 core 10 pin mini USB cable with 3.5mm stereo jack but I am not 100% sure where to solder the wires apart from pin 5 to 6. Ideally I would like to have stereo input, does anyone know if that is possible with the SJ7?

12. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

The difference is numbering of the pin.
    But important is that the mic line has polarity.

13. CaptWho

CaptWho New Member

There are a few adapters listed on e-bay. Search "Mini USB to 3.5mm Jack Headphone Earphone Audio Adapter for Mobile Phones", "Mini USB Plug to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter for ZTE phone_KH" and "USB Type A to 3.5mm Jack Headset Stereo Audio Adapter Cable External Sound Card"

Will these work?

I apologize for not being able to post direct links due to new user restrictions, hope this works for everyone.