External Microphones, Etc.

Discussion in 'Mounts, Cases, Cables, Mics, Etc' started by shootingforfun, Apr 26, 2017.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Let us know how your mic research comes out. In general, though, not all mics are electrically equal, even if they have the same 3.5 mm jack. Dynamic (moving element) mics work one way, condenser or electret mics work differently. I don't know which works better with the SJ7.

paul likes this.
  2. RBEmerson

@paul Please keep in mind this is the SJ7 forum, not the SJ6 forum.

3. paul

paul New Member

I shouldn't post anything here or anywhere in this forum?

4. RBEmerson

My point is only that if you need help with an SJ6 issue, you're not likely to get the response you're looking for. Otherwise, please, feel welcome here.

5. dbhost

dbhost New Member

I would like to know if anyone has any information on the progress of the sjcam official USB to 3.5 mm adapter or if there is a quality unofficial adapter on the market. I see the directions on how to do it and honestly with my big old sausage fingers I don't really trust trying to make one myself. I would like to adapt a quarter inch mono Wireless microphone set up for use with this camera.

6. dbhost

dbhost New Member

Generally speaking you want a dynamic microphone for anything that will be used in a mobile application such as most applications where an action camera is appropriate

7. dbhost

dbhost New Member

Have you tried a dead kitten type of windscreen? I've been using one with a lavalier mic wired on video work I've been using with my smartphone for a while and it works exceptionally well in Fairly high wind applications maybe not say Exposed on the outside of a motorcycle or something but it cuts all the wind noise out when doing video work on a beach on a windy day

8. dbhost

dbhost New Member

Have any of you folks succeeded in teh DIY approach? WHere did you get the adapter with the pop open case like the guy in the video shows?

I should mention what I am trying to adapt so maybe it will make sense...

SJ6 Legend needs to adapt a (Please don't laugh, I know it is pitiful, but it's workable in my phone situation) a Pyle Pro 1/4" wireless lavalier mic. So I need to adapt basically FROM the USB, up to a 1/4" TS / mono audio connector.

The pin outs I am seeing in the video and the diagrams drawn here show a simple hot / ground arrangement for the mic, so TS works fine. Does polarity matter in this?

If it's a matter of making the hot / ground connections from the audio cable TS to the USB, and then just jumping a small wire from what was it #5 to #6 I think, then would it be easier in my case to just get like a short 2.5mm to 1/4" mono adapter with say a 12" lead, clip the 2.5mm off, and solder that to a mini USB connector and make that one jump?

I'll admit, I'd rather not be doing this DIY adapter approach at all, but if I do, I want to insure that I have it dead on right...

9. dbhost

dbhost New Member

Okay so I found the 10 pin micro USB connectors, and a 1/4" mono socket on a cable (3.5mm to 1/4" F adapter cable). I will go ahead and clip the 3.5mm off the cable, strip it back, and make the connections. I have some 20 ga wire to make the jump between 5 and 6, so I should be good as long as...
    #1. The instructions are right.
    and...
    #2. I don't totally mess up the soldering...

Wish me luck!

10. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

I ordered 10 pin male connectors to connect to the SJ7 and 10 pin female connectors as I want an extension cable/splitter, of sorts, that will allow the connection of power and the external mike simultaneously while using the motorcycle case.
    I cut the end off a standard USB cable I'm using for a 5vdc power connection and soldered it onto the male 10 pin connector. At that point I tested and had a power connection into the SJ7.
    After waiting a month I rec'd the female connectors and began installing the mike connections to that USB cable. The wires in that 10 pin female are miniscule and require use of magnifier at least. I made the connections after 2 attempts and am satisfied they are good, but when I tested it, I hear only clicking recorded on the video. I don't feel good about the way external mike's male connector fits the female and fear they may not be a perfect match, or not connecting. There is also a possibility that there may be an issue with the strapping connection in the male connector going into the SJ7 that I read on the forum earlier. I may look into that further but probably not.
    I grew frustrated with it all and pretty much decided to do w/o a mike for my motorcycle rides. Probably would be difficult to get it right w/o wind and engine noise issues as well.
    I would have REALLY preferred that an extension with a splitter was offered by either SJCAM or an aftermarket company. I'd have bought one in a minute.

11. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

Did you watched the thread #52?

12. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

Are you referring to the jumper on pins 5 & 6? I have thought of removing the connector on the external microphone and replacing with a 3.5mm jack and plug as was shown here. That would eliminate the microscopic 10 pin connectors that may be my problem. But.then I couldn't plug directly into camera, the external mike.

13. dbhost

dbhost New Member

I too have given that some thought.

I read your post prior about you soldering on both a male, and a female mini USB connector and I don't think you are getting the idea. Or maybe I am confused about what you are saying...

If it were me doing it, and soon it will be, I would try to first attack getting the mic working following the directions given here. And since the USB on the camera supports power THEN get the power working.

Yes the pins are teeny tiny. I am honestly not looking forward to the process, but I have plenty of confidence that with some extreme care, I should be able to get the soldering done with no real problems. We will see...

14. dbhost

dbhost New Member

My Mini USB 10 pin connectors, and the audio cable came in today. I looked at the back of the USB, and it is plenty intimidating to consider soldering, but I realized the pins are easily bent in and out of place, so I am going to spread the pins I need to solder on, make my joint, then bend them back into place.

At this time, I am going to do audio only, not power. I have enough ends a V2 with audio and power could certainoly be a future project...

I am starting to come down with that stupid flu that has been going around this winter, so it won't be for at least a few days...

15. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

P1010762.JPG Do you mean this?

16. dbhost

dbhost New Member

Okay so far my DIY approach has been a dismal failure. The pins on the mini USB are simply too small, too close together, and FAR too fragile for me to be all that effective.

I do have an SJCam official mic, where I goofed and got the one with the wierd boom that you pretty much have to clip to your helt to keep it out of your nose when in use... Okay maybe not that bad, but the boom is unnervingly long to me... I am trying to work my nerve up enough to cut the cord and graft the 1/4" to it.

Al in all, a serious pity SJCam didn't have the foresignt to think folks would want to use their own microphones with these cameras and have adapters made, or make the camera with a standard pin out... Other than this one issue, this has been a great camera so far!

17. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

dbhost wrote:
    I do have an SJCam official mic, where I goofed and got the one with the wierd boom that you pretty much have to clip to your helt to keep it out of your nose when in use... Okay maybe not that bad, but the boom is unnervingly long to me...

Regarding the above, I too have the longer one and found it inconvenient at times. You can remove the lavalier clip from the lower location and install it to the microphone base itself which makes it very much like the shorter mike's mount. I installed a piece of heat shrink tubing at the mike base to take up the slack space.
    Doing this allows use of the mike both ways.

18. dbhost

dbhost New Member

Yeah, I fiddled around with it and figured that part out. Next up was the record level / gain. The SJCam mic is HOT, as in if you leave the record volume at the defaults, it distorts. I had to turn volume down to 1 on the camera. It would appear that microphone and speaker volume are related on this camera, so if you set the volume to a level that you can hear with playback on the camera, it distorts the heck out of the recording signal... Lesson learned I guess... Something they should fix in the firmware....

Just tried shooting a quick video in low light. Not a good plan.... I really needed to take my shot earlier but for what I was doing, the weather didn't cooperate. I wanted to use the mic, and it was raining...

19. dbhost

dbhost New Member

Okay so for what it's worth, I am starting to like using the official external mic with the long part. Once I figured out the moving of the clip that is... And I kind of don't want to hack it apart to get my adapter done... Ugh...

So I am now off to find the absolute cheapest price I can on an SJCam official mic that I can hack on and not be too upset if I fail...

20. dbhost

dbhost New Member

Okay done. At least ordered. I found an ebay seller with the SJCam official lavalier mic (short model) for ten bucks shipped.... I don't feel bad about clipping that if I mess it up...

The question now is. How do I strip back that woven insulation?