External Microphones, Etc.

Discussion in 'Mounts, Cases, Cables, Mics, Etc' started by shootingforfun, Apr 26, 2017.

1. shootingforfun

shootingforfun New Member

Hey Rob and any one reading this,

I have just ordered a SJ7. I am excited.

Sound is super important and from what I hear the only microphones that work and the SJ branded ones. Is this true? Anyone with experience with this? I want to use https://www.amazon.com/EACHSHOT-Directional-Microphone-Smartphone-Livestream/dp/B01N9O7KWY

I have an adapter to plug the the 3.5mm jack onto the mini usb but no idea if this will work.

Maybe a firmware update is in order if it doesn't work.

Let me know your guys experiences!

Cheers!

2. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

External Microphones, Etc.

Microphones are an essential part of any video recording.
    SJCAM's latest action camera models are capable of external microphone input via MiniUSB.

There are currently 2 versions of the SJCAM external mic, both have clips to attach to either clothing or anything thin, one has a gooseneck "boom" so you can extend it to whatever direction you wish to point it.

SJCAM Mics.jpg

There are plenty of enthusiasts who would like to know more about the capabilities of the miniUSB, though sadly, not all USB audio adapters are compatible.

Things to consider about microphones:
    • Microphone size - Generally, the larger the diaphragm, the "warmer" sounding the recorded audio will be.
    • Polar pattern - Each mic has its own "hearing range", the polar pattern is the shape of that range.
    • Cable thickness and length - Wire diameter and length play a major role in keeping the signal-to-noise ratio high.
    • Intended purpose: Some mics are intended for voice, some are for instruments, and there are those for other applications.
    • Microphone placement - Where you put your mic changes how it hears audio.

Of course, sound quality in proportion to the price should be in that list. But price can be subjective.

Plenty of users are looking for other microphones to be connected to the cameras, I'd like to hear fellow users test out their microphone setups, including DIY, and what their finding are.

Moving the threads here so we have only one place to look.

3. Sreedev K

Sreedev K New Member

Hi,

I have ordered my Sj7 star and is waiting for its arrival. I'm planning to motovlog using it. I was thinking of having the camera plugged into us 10,000mAh USB battery bank so that I won't have to swap batteries. However, I was also planning to use an external mic. Is there any method of doing it? Having the device over USB and use external mic at the same time.

Thanks and Regards

4. sjcam_admin

sjcam_admin Administrator Staff Member

Hi @Sreedev K
    That's a tough one. I know there are cables for hard disk drives that are powered off of another USB connection while a data cable is plugged in, not really a Y cable, since the other one goes out to feed power. I cannot say if it's totally possible, unless someone can confirm it. Nice idea, btw.
    Let's see who else has an idea of how this could work.

5. SSG

SSG New Member

I guess it depends on how the microphone works, but I reckon that it is possible. If it just uses the data pins and ground you may be able to hook up the VCC (power) and ground of that connector to a power bank to charge and have a working microphone at the same time. However, USB is a standard that has to adhere to specifications, which can mean that there are some details (in the electronics) that won't allow it, or due to which it is not possible. I haven't looked into it myself, but googling a bit should take you where you want to go. For sure it will require diy-ing and soldering.

sjcam_admin likes this.
  6. Sreedev K

Sreedev K New Member

Hi,
    I just did a bit of searching. I assume that the cam supports USB OTG, since it switches it's role (host when a mic is connected, peripheral when connected to a computer). So in USB OTG connection, there is a provision to have USB ACA(accessory charging adapter) which presents presents a dedicated charging port into which I can plug my power bank in and a peripheral port into which I can plug the mic. However, the hardware needs to comply with USB Battery Charging Spec 1.2 for this and also software support is needed. Probably the hardware support will be in place but I doubt that the software will. I have raised a ticket with SJCAM and presently they're waiting for some clarification from Ambarella. If Ambara confirms the support, I'll be able to DIY and come up with a solution since I'm a tech guy. Hope things go positive. It'll be such a pain to go on long bike rides carrying a number of batteries and swapping them every few hours.

I'll keep this thread updated for future references.

Troy likes this.
  7. algas

algas New Member

8. Ko Di

Ko Di New Member

There is a solution :

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=776054&st=1140

По поводу одновременного подключения внешнего микрофона и питания не нашёл ответа.
    Вскрыл разъём микрофона. Микрофон подключен к двум контактам ещё 2 под перемычкой.
    Добавил питание на "родные" для миниUSB контакты и всё заработало.
    [​IMG]

lzo, Troy and Silent_alarm like this.
  9. Redouane

Redouane New Member

Hi
    I have another question about the Sjcam sj7 star microphone.... Is it possible to to use a mini usb to 3.5 mm female jack to connect my Rode microphone with my Sjcam sj7 star camera please? Like this one in the photo... Please

Attached Files:

10. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

It may be possible if your Rode mic uses the same pinout of the SJCAM external microphone.

Redouane likes this.
  11. Silent_alarm

Silent_alarm New Member

"As for the simultaneous connection of an external microphone and power, I did not find an answer.
    Opened the microphone connector. The microphone is connected to two contacts 2 more under the jumper.
    Added power to the "native" for miniUSB contacts and it all worked. "

Google Translated for the rest that are interested. Great. Now i have two external mics so at some point i'm gonna make the mono 3.5mm adapter.

Troy likes this.
  12. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

IIRC SJCam has this cable coming. Just when is any one's guess.

13. Eric5150

Eric5150 New Member

So.

I make DIY videos on Youtube and really hate the internal mics quality. I did buy the official SJCAM external mic but I was wondering if there was a way to make Gopro compatible external mics work with the SJ7 Star. I bought the Saramonic G-Mic Stereo Ball Mic off of Amazon just to try it but it doesn't seem to work. I don't mind doing some work on the mic to make it work with the SJ7 Star but I would need to know what wire goes where. In other words, I need to know how the mini usb connections are different than in a GoPro Hero 3, Hero 3+, and Hero 4 for the microphone connections. Any help or diagrams of the SJ7 Star vs the GoPro mini usb connector connections/wiring would be greatly appreciated as I might sacrifice my original SJCAM external mic and use its wiring to connect to the Saramonic G-Mic to the SJ7.

Eric

14. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

sjcam_admin likes this.
  15. Andre

Andre New Member

Filmmaker & tester of gadgets
  16. DanJ1902

DanJ1902 New Member

I bought a standard cheap lavalier mic from Amazon and it didn't work with the SJ7.
    Are there any that will work with it?
    I'm after a 3.5mm mic to use with a mini usb to 3.5mm adapter.

17. Eric5150

Eric5150 New Member

I was emailed by SJCAM and they're working on a mini usb to 1/8" adapter for mics. I don't know when it will be out but they did send a picture

[​IMG]

hohol_m likes this.
  18. lzo

lzo New Member

While SJCAM is developing the original adapter, I have made my own adapters.
    One is only for external mic and the second is for the mic and the external power.

Attached Files:

19. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

Are they working? Were they are to make?

20. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

Who sent you this picture via email?