Error with FOV setting.

Discussion in 'Tips, Guides and Tutorials' started by Janet Lim, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Janet Lim

Janet Lim New Member

Hi does anyone have the problem or solution to the following.
    I changed the FOV of my sj6 to NARROW to eliminates the fisheye effect, but when I took the photo and went straight back to check on the setting , it shows that the FOV is wide. What happen?and are there any setting that I missed out?

2. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    I'm pretty sure FOV only effects video not photos.

To avoid the fisheye effect you need to turn on distortion correction and you can leave the FOV on wide then.

3. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

If that would be the case, then there is no point for FOV setting under Still Mode Options at all. The user manual (Still Mode Options 2) states:
    "FOV › Field Of View / Field Of Vision (also known as “Focal Length”) The higher the setting,the wider the angle of the recorded scene becomes"

For SJ5000x the FOV setting has effect on still images (if shooting JPG-s). You must consider, that FOV for video and FOV for still images are separate options.

4. NicSanico

NicSanico New Member

To eliminate the fishEye effect you just need to turn off the gyro then turn On the Distortion Correction and your good to go.
    It also make the accurate view on the screen on the subjects angle and distance.
    Most of the new firmware requires the gyro to turn off you to be able to turn on the distortion correction.
    Hence that the gyro on the SJ6 is just a digital cropping to be able for us to use distortion correction we must first turn off gyro.

Hope this help.

Janet Lim and Damian Holt like this.
  5. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I remind you that FOV settings and Distortion Control have no effect on RAW files.

6. Janet Lim

Janet Lim New Member

thanks for that! i just tried it, and finally manged to eliminate the fish eye effect :)