Clicking or thumping sound - SJ7 (problem fixed)

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Stein Dahl, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Stein Dahl

Stein Dahl New Member

Hello,
    I recently bought an SJ7 Star direct from the SJCAM website and it's been working great - until I tried using an SJCAM external mic which I got with my SJ6 last year.

When I film using no external mic attached the sound is fine - except that it is not as loud and clear as I would like. And when I attach the external mic to the camera and film I get an annoying thumping sound or clicking sound that ruin's the footage.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue? Also, wondering if it's something that can be corrected with a firmware update or do I need an external mic that specifically works with my SJ7?

Stein Dahl

2. Stein Dahl

Stein Dahl New Member

Hey - just in case anyone else is having trouble with a thumping or clicking sound on SJ7 when using an external mic . . .
    I figured out what the problem was. The mic I was using was an older SJCAM mic (came with my SJ6) and for some reason when I use it on the SJ7 Star it causes a terrible thumping sound.

Well - I found the external mic that came with my SJ7 - and I tried it out and - the thumping sound was gone! That was the problem! So, problem solved. :)

3. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Are sure something wasn't hitting the mic cable and causing the thumping? Even if nothing is touching the mic, the cable, if it's hit, will pass the sound mechanically to the mic (put your ear to the end of a meter stick and tap meter stick at the other end).