Can someone explain about MOV in video mode and Raw files for still images?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Danai, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Danai

Danai New Member

Home Page:
    I see the spec that the page says that the image supports raw file and video. Supports MOV. I tried setting But nothing found.

2. Jason

Jason Moderator

SJ7 Doesn't support either. Both were promised and hyped when it was released but neither has been delivered.

Danai likes this.
  3. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

In my humble opinion (IMHO) neither are must-have items, but "would be nice". While I don't use the SJ7 for stills (it's almost always attached to my motorcycle helmet), I do use it heavily for videos. I shoot 1080p @ 60 fps, using an external battery and a mix of 64 and 128 Gb SD's. I usually turn the camera on when I start riding at don't turn it off until I get where I'm going. Unfortunately, short of an external hard drive, that's not practical at 4K.

I edited the sample with DaVinci Resolve editor. At the end of editing and mixing the audio, render the finished product 4K UHD. This does not magically make 1080p 4K!!! What it does, though, minimize the amount of damage YouTube does to lower definition videos. The end result is that YouTube is very close to the raw footage. In the sample, check out the Belgian block paving on the street and next to it. In the actual mountain pass, look at the stones in the retaining wall. The imagery is, for lack of a better word, crisp.

As an aside, watch the motion of the top of the windscreen relative to the scenery. The SJ7's gyro function works very well.

The bottom line here is: the present video format works quite well.

4. rubiroza

rubiroza New Member

Home Page:
    Great video. What FW ver. are you using in yout SJ7? Do you use any software to remove fisheye effect when editing the video?

5. Danai

Danai New Member

Home Page:
    Thank you for your reply.

6. Danai

Danai New Member

Home Page:
    Thank you for your reply, and sample applications.

7. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

That was shot with V1.15. V 1.18 wasn't available at the time. There's no processing for lens correction. I tried it with other footage and, IHMO, it only exchanges bent telephone poles for telephone poles leaning oddly. A "fisheye" lens is a fisheye lens.

I shot at 1080p but transcoded (with Resolve) the 1080p video to 4K. The images aren't sharpened up, it keeps YouTube from reducing the image quality of the posted video. 1080p videos look pretty miserable after YouTube gets done with them. The transcoding preserves the existing sharpness.

Jason likes this.