Can only get 15min clips

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Alex Skacel, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Alex Skacel

Alex Skacel New Member

Hi all,

Some of you might remember me from a crazy Rant I went on about the SJ7 Star. Well I gave up and decided that I will only use 1080P @ 60fps. Anything higher is useless. Well OK, 2.5K @ 60 is OK, 4K @ 30 is OK, but yeah, anything else is useless. 720P @ 240fps, well let's say my 1990's Flip phone produced better quality!!

Well anyway, now I have a new issue, maybe it is an issue, maybe it is not. I can only record 15 min clips. I popped a 128GB Card (and yes it is fast enough, I don't have any R/W issues). I filled the entire card with a recording and found that there were 33 15 minute clips and not one 8.25hr clip.

Is this by design? I know that It is easier to find what you're looking for in smaller clips, but what if I wanted to make one big one? Should I not have to option to do so? Why would any camera make that decision for you?

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

What 1990s phone produces high quality 720P @ 240fps videos?

Are you aware of the file system limitation for FAT32 file size? It is 2 GB. How many minutes you could record to fill 2 GB depends on the resolution, quality level (bitrate etc) and specific scene, but most cameras could not fit 8.25 hour FHD video clip into 2 GB file.

Damian Holt likes this.
  3. Larry B

Larry B New Member

Operations Director
    But when formatted in the camera exFat is used. Doesn't that mean the the max file size of more than 4GB, in my case 4.32Gig, is supported? I think my question is the same as Alex. Is this by design? Is the limit the flash or the camera firmware/software? I've formatted my card to exFat on a mac, windows 10 and in the camera and larger file sizes were never written.

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

If the camera accepts and could use exFAT cards also, then it still doesn't mean, that it has full support of exFAT features. Possibly, for providing compatibility with FAT32 cards, the FW is still hacking files into 2GB pieces. The exFAT compatibility is possibly limited with such a level, that provides, that you don't have to reformat your exFAT cards into FAT32, before you use them. So, yes, this is a FW issue.

Damian Holt likes this.
  5. Larry B

Larry B New Member

Operations Director
    For the clarification, thanks Sulev Svilponis (aka S2?).

LB

Damian Holt likes this.