Can anyone help me what are the appropriate settings for a night shot?

Discussion in 'SJ6 LEGEND' started by Jon, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Jon

Jon New Member

Hi there,

I am using Sjcam Sj6 legend, can someone here teach me how or what settings should I be using when it comes to night shots? Thanks in advance!

This is a sample of my night shot.

Video settings:
    Video resolution: 4k
    the rest are default settings

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Was it a foggy night or is your camera lens or the window of the watertight case foggy? Those mighty halos around the lights shouldn't be there normally.

3. Jon

Jon New Member

Hi Sulev, It's not foggy at that time and I really have no idea. I am suspecting that it might be the casing. It really destroys the vid because of that bright lights coming from cars and the lamp post.

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Try to shoot some test clips with the camera without the casing. This way you can rule out some possible sources for those halos.

If those halos are caused by foggy lens/case window, then maybe you should be more careful, when loading the camera into the protective casing. Avoid doing that in a warm and moist environment. To avoid vapour condensation inside the casing, it is wise to load the camera in cooler and dryer place, compared to the environment, where you plan to record. And after the casing is sealed, it is good to let the case to warm up (in a warm room, for instance) to avoid condensation to the outer surfaces of the case.

Night recording is extremely demanding of the cleanliness of the lens. Check, if there is any dirt on it. Clean it, if there is some. Clean the case window also, if there are even lightest signs of dirt, fingerprints etc. Both sides.

5. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Humidity in the air and the temperature difference between temperatures on a surface and air can get dew to form, this is a normal thing we painters need to take into account if you want to do the job properly.

Troy likes this.
  6. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

@kamkar is right. The temperature difference between the inside and the outside causes the water present in the air (trapped inside with the camera) to condense and collect on the inside walls of the waterproof case and also on the lens.

There are several ways to combat this: anti-fog inserts, small silica gel packets, crumpled pieces of tissue paper, or anything that is close to a baby's diaper's material. Just make sure you don't cover any vents where the camera expels heat from within it's shell. It is this heat from electronics that causes the temperature differences in and out of the WP case.

7. Mayur

Mayur New Member

is there any lens or anything available for sjcam legend so that night videos can come little crisp & clear ??

8. kamkar

kamkar Elite

low light are only going to be crisp and clear if there are no movement in the picture, if you are walking or recording anything moving you will see motion blur as the camera drop to a slow exposure time to be able to take fairly bright pictures.
    This is a picture i have taken with my Nikon DSlr camera, as you can see all the things not moving are crisp and clear but where the water rush over the rocks its just a blur as i used a really long exposure.
    And they yellow are natural result of a street light not far away.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pics are all taken at night, this following one it is the full moon in the picture, and you can see the stars are not dots but little lines cuz they moved while picture was taken.
    [​IMG]

If you use a really long exposure ( many minutes ) then the stars will be lines, and still things not moving will be crisp and clear like in this picture of some one else.
    [​IMG]

But just the 1/30 second the camera drop to are frightfully slow, to get crisp clear shots you should use at least 1/500 second if the speed are not too fast.
    But if you use 1/500 at night the picture will just be dark as its far too fast for the sensor to capture enough light.

Also if you take pictures in dark use self timer so you dont touch camera when the picture is taken

Troy and Jason like this.
  9. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

@Jon those light spills are either because there's fog, or your lens (on the camera or waterproof case) may have finger smudges. Easy fix is obviously to just wipe it carefully with the included blue lens cloth, or one of those disposable lens cleaning cloths available in sachets. Just don't apply too much pressure or you can scratch the lens with any dust particles that's already on it.

My many experiments with low light and almost complete darkness have brought me to wonderful heights of photography. @kamkar's examples are just a few things you can do. Until you actually experience it yourself, you won't believe how much you haven't really explored.
    Like my mom used to say when I was little, "The more you know, the more you know the less you know"
    Experimenting with nighttime photography just proved to me that that is correct, yet again.