Camera not connecting to IOS

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by rizeddd, Feb 2, 2018.

1. rizeddd

rizeddd New Member

Hi, i have now 2 SJ7 Star and they do the same , they connect to the android phone but not on the iphone , do anybody knows a solution ?
    I see the SSID and put password , it shows a check but doesnt connect as u can see in the top right corner it doesnt show the wifi connected on the iphone

thanks

Attached Files:

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Try this experiment. Record some video - it doesn't matter what it is. Go through the connection process as before. Click on the box in the lower right hand corner of the phone. Do you even see the files you shot? Can you play them back on your phone?

What firmware version do your cameras have? If it's V1.18, try V1.20. Loading any firmware resets the camera. You'll have to change the settings back to whatever you prefer to use.

3. rizeddd

rizeddd New Member

Doesnt work , i have V1.20 in both and already the same "problem" even when they were on V1.18 , connecting to Android works but with IOS doesnt connect properly
    Strange thing

4. RBEmerson

Well, that comes down to either iOS doesn't work with the app or vice versa.

Does anyone here have a working connection between the camera and phone?

5. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Mine connects perfectly well to my iPhone 7 and my wife’s 6s. I noticed from the above screen shots the phone in question is the new iPhone X. It would seem there’s the issue. I’ve no idea why and don’t know anyone local to me with an X to test myself.

6. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Have you tried to set your phone's IP address manually? Large share of WiFi connectivity problems are related with poor DHCP.

7. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
  8. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I suppose, that default values for the camera IP configuration are as follows:
    Camera's IP address 192.168.1.254
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    DNS server (None)
    Default gateway (None)

This case you should try this (on your iPhone):
    Tap on the IP Address field and enter the static IP address, for instance 192.168.1.5 (anything between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.253 goes)
    Tap on the Router field and enter the camera IP address, 192.168.1.254
    Tap on Subnet Mask and enter 225.225.255.0
    Tap on DNS and enter your information, for instance 8.8.8.8 or 192.168.1.254 or leave blank, if not required.
    Tap on the Wi-Fi networks button in the upper left corner of the screen to save settings.

9. RBEmerson

???At least on my Android (7.0) phone, the local network is 192.168.42.nnn. At the moment, the SJ7's IP address is 192.168.42.1 - it's treated as a router (Broadcomm chipset, BTW). The phone's IP address is presently 192.168.42.5, which is assigned via DHCP

First, either iOS won't work with 192.168.42.nnn (as opposed to, typically, 192.168.1.nnn or 192.168.0.nnn), or something else is broken. Not having an iPhone for testing, I can't take this further.

I asked earlier, and I'll ask again, if you have an iPhone that works with the SJ7, please tell us about it. And tell us what was done to make it work.

Technical notes:
    IP addresses using 10.nnn.nnn.nnn, 172.16.nnn.nnn,and 192.168.nnn.nnn are reserved for private (non-Internet) nets. These three domains are, by definition, not accepted by public Domain Name Servers (DNS).

Routers are almost never nnn.nnn.nnn.254 - typically xxx.yyy.zzz.1 - using the domain/sub-domain, for SJCam Flash and the phone, above, 192.168.42.nnn, it will be 192.168.42.1 - as is the actual address listed above.

The mask should be 255.255.255.0 except when trying to work with two sub-domains: 192.168.0.nnn and 192.168.1.nnn - unless you're a net Zen master, in doing this lies madness.

Except where the DHCP server is defective (difficult to diagnose without the suitable tools - e.g., wire shark), static IP's are strongly will discouraged. What may work before a reboot, often will not work afterwards.

I'm surprised the app/phone net isn't treated as a peer-to-peer net. [/shrug]

10. RBEmerson

A further note about the network. The link speed is about 65 Mb/s, which works for 1080@60 and below, but gets tight for higher res' and/or frame rates.

11. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    I’ve posted before that I’ve connected my iPhone 7 & 6s without an issue.

There’s nothing magical about the process.

1. Turn camera WiFi on
    2. Select SJ7 from the available WiFi networks in setting on the iPhone. (Note the WiFi icon on the iPhone will not show as there’s no internet connection)
    3. Open the SJCam app and choose the 1st option and connect the camera.

Also worth mentioning from another thread is once I press record the screen goes black for a few seconds with spinning wheel but then the screen shows the live camera view, move the camera and the screen updates the view as it does when not recording. @T-Bone. I tested this in a few different resolutions and Each one worked as described above.

Attached Files:

12. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Just ignore a few RBEmerson's bytes! Static IP does not broke your phone or camera. Setting up a static IP is the easiest way to debug DHCP problems. You can always switch to the DHCP back again.

Another possible sources of WiFi connectivity errors:
    1. WiFi speed negotiation could be problematic. Your iPhone might prefer to connect to 802.11 ac type WiFi networks, but SJ7 probably support only up to 802.11 n (unfortunately no technical data available about supported WiFi speeds in the SJ7 User's Manual). If possible, set your iPhone to 802.11 n (or even to 802.11 g) only for debugging purposes.
    2. Your iPhone may be set up to use VPN.This case disabling VPN could resolve the problem.

13. RBEmerson

Sigh... re-read the post. "Except where the DHCP server is defective (difficult to diagnose without the suitable tools - e.g., wire shark), static IP's are strongly will discouraged. What may work before a reboot, often will not work afterwards." Doesn't look like I said it breaks anything.

Speed negotiation? VPN's? if, instead of throwing out "see how clever I am" buzzwords, you understood what you're writing about, you'd know how absurd that is.

14. RBEmerson

The issue here comes down to "why don't I see camera output while the camera's running". Damian, speaking from first hand experience, nailed it:
    Overall, the camera app has serious flaws. The resolution and frame rate under the "monitor" is worthless. The remote res./speed setting function is equally worthless. After setting up the camera to run at 1080@60 fps, the app showed 1080@30 fps. Rechecking the camera, and a file, the camera was running at 1080@60 fps, as it should. Additionally, during testing I tried to shift from 4K@30 fps to 1080@ 60 fps, and wound up at another resolution and frame rate.

The file function has its problems, too. With the camera SD carrying 10 files, the function reported there were no files. It found them when I taped "Video" again, but that shouldn't have been necessary.

Overall, the data stream has problems, but the monitor display remains useful, as do the stop/start button, and, ironically, the power-down button. After watching the WiFi connection between the phone and camera, I think the brief interruptions come from the phone briefly doing other tasks and letting the WiFi link "drop down on the to-do list". In short, it's slightly annoying but no harm done.

Finally, it's a minor point, but I think the "Trending" thing is silly, and a waste of bandwidth. The object of the tool is to work with the camera, not see somebody's pretty pictures. While most people usually have a nearly unlimited data budget, that's not always the case. For example, Verizon's "out of country" plan sells data in 100 Mb blocks at $25 per block. Budgeting use becomes a real use; no "pretty pictures" please.

15. RBEmerson

If using the camera app is a problem, consider this alternative: using external power, leave the screen on, and use the SJ7 remote control. It's a way to stop and start the camera without bumping the camera. $25 is probably a bit spendy for that option, but it's something to think about.

16. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Currently I was talking about your claims, that "static IP's are strongly will discouraged" and "difficult to diagnose without the suitable tools - e.g., wire shark". If one can set up static IP, then he/she manages to switch back to DHCP again, no doubt! And easiest way to test DHCP problems is setting up static IP. No special tool necessary. If static IP works, but DHCP not, then the problem is obviously related with DHCP.

RBEmerson, if I want to read something amusing, then I read your messages. A la "Henry is the unit of impedance", "SJCAM ISO, EV etc settings doesn't affect video" etc.etc, etc. You have convinced me, that you have no idea, what you are talking about.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018