Bitrate

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by Artemy, Apr 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Artemy

Artemy New Member

Hello , pls help me with this case , I have SJCAM s7, then I Buy s8 pro and what I have ? Bitrate on s7 1080 in 2,5 times better that s8 !!!! On s8 pro bitrate 1080/30-60 FPS near 12-14 !!!! I pay 250$ and get camera worse that I have !!! New firmware doesn’t solve this problem ! Now I have firmware 1.3.0 official And bitrate is similar

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

You are quite correct, the stock f/w 1.3.0 does not fix the poor SJ8 bitrate. But there is a solution.

3. RBEmerson

Somewhat related to OP's comment:
    I took my SJ8 Pro and Sony FDR-X3000 for a comparison trip yesterday. Shooting side-by-side video is still a challenge. Getting the getting the cameras collimated right isn't simple. But I got things aligned and synchronized.

The lighting was "cloudy day, mid-afternoon", not the greatest shooting conditions. I look at this situation as being generally more challenging than full sun..

The Sony tanked. Next to the SJ8 with the modified f/w, it looked out of focus, much of the scenery as was blobs of color inside somewhat defined edges. Even the yellow lines were ...um... sad. The only piece of good news is there was very little obvious pixelation. Which is odd, given the blurring, etc. The overall white balance was on the cold side. I tried grading the results with Resolve. I don't know diddly about grading but I figured out the Sony footage definitely needed help to warm up. The areas where the sky wasn't heavily clouded (no blue sky anywhere) were burned through - fully saturated and no hope for repair.

The SJ8's overall look was crisp in all regards. Some parts of the view were "blobby" but acceptable. There was no obvious pixelation. The only point worth noting is the roadway lost detail in the asphalt fairly quickly, although cracks and "tar snakes" came through clearly, as did milled "rumble strips" in the middle of the road. The footage strikes me as a little too warm and dark. I twiddled around with balance and moved the balance closer to what I call "right". Most of the effort was spent on getting the shading right. Unlike the Sony, the sky wasn't burned through and I could brighten it up a bit without a problem. The above video shows all of these points.

There is one place where the X3000 and SJ8 are equal, and it's a surprise. The SJ8's EIS is fully a match with the X3000's OIS/EIS "BOSS" system. I looked for some seriously rough road (unfortunately the best part is now paved over) and both clips were rock solid. I assumed the OIS/EIS combo would win here, but it didn't. The results are a draw.

I didn't post the comparison video - even tweaked and timed, it's ...um... not fir for consumption.

Resuming our trip in the US west, the SJ8, which stayed home for the first 6500 miles, will now be the primary camera for the last leg of the trip through Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, before eastward through Arkansas, Tennessee, Virginia, and Pennsylvania - another 6000+ miles. The X3000 will come along, but only as a "bail out" in case the SJ8 goes down (probably on battery issues). Daily "rushes" will go to one of two 4T HDD's, with quality checks, of course.

4. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
  5. RBEmerson

I'm not sure I understand you. The sample video, viewed at 1080, looks good. Even freeze frames look good.

6. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    The sample video is only a showcase for how good the quality of the SJ8 Pro can be in 1080p if the bitrate is not crippled.

7. RBEmerson

OK, I understand that. But I don't understand why it seems to be a negative thing for you.

8. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    Where did I say it's something negative? The only negative I mentioned is that for 24fps the bitrate is the same as in the original FW.

9. RBEmerson

OK, no worries - just confusion on my part.

10. Artemy

Artemy New Member

I’m trying to install mod 4.1, but bitrate on 1080/60fps stay on 14!!!! I’m afraid of this cam (

11. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    I had the same problem until I realized that the quality setting was changed during the FW change. Go to the Video Quality settings and chage from Standard to Fine again.
    Here is another sample now in daylight and quite a bunch of details in the image:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UV9-phlBx-L6X0kPMHdzUMHwPWC9taw3/view?usp=sharing

See the video settings in the attached screenshot

Attached Files:

12. Manolis

Manolis New Member

there is also one more unofficial firmware out there (kaliningrands) that according to what I read is the best so far in the market with impressive bitrates
    for instance @ 1080p and for fine analysis there are the following bitrates:

fps bitrate(fine standart low)
    120 60
    60 60 40 20
    30 60 40 20
    24 12

13. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    A link is always helpful, as I could not find the FW you are writing about.
    Besides that the bitrate for 24fps is as bad as in the original FW.

14. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    Another sample from the modded firmware proving that the hardware of the SJ8 Pro is rather good:
    http://www.share-online.biz/dl/2U1Q44QPUZC
    The footage is 1080p - 60fps - H.265 - 24MBit/s (stabilization ON, distortion correction ON).