Battery life time at -20°C

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by feliks86, Oct 13, 2018.

1. feliks86

feliks86 New Member

Hello. I want to buy SJCAM SJ7 Star. I am wondering, when I will go for a trip in mountains at -20°C, what will be the battery life time? When the weather is warm (20-30°C) it is 1h - 1h30m when filming in 4K, so how long it can be at -20°C?

Greetings,
    Feliks

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

It depends...
    If you start recording right after you step out of door into -20°C environment and the camera is still warm, then, I suppose, you may get ca half an hour of recording. If the camera is several hours at -20°C temperature before you start recording, then the battery might run out of juice even after only 5 minutes of recording.
    A few spare batteries are essential for recording in these conditions.
    Keep your spare batteries close to your body.
    The camera runs longer in freezing temperatures, when it is in the watertight casing, than when it is without the casing.

I don't have a SJ7 Star, but I have several other cameras and have had plenty of opportunities to test those at -20°C.

3. V Stoev

V Stoev New Member

Hi,

This is very good question.

I have used my SJ7 Star only couple of times and I can consider it's battery as a new.
    On my ski holiday earlier this year I tried many times to record a video.The lowest temperature outside was not even -10°C.
    I tried to keep my camera as warm as possible. I covered it with a ski sock and kept it in my internal pocket on my jacket.
    All this effort for nothing, unfortunately the battery couldn't hold a charge even for 5 min.
    I think the aluminium metal case doesn't help in cold weather.

I wanna see and other people's experience.

Regards,
    Ven

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

The warmest solution should be if to start recording before you step outdoors, and then record continuously until the battery is discharged. I don't have a SJ7, but my SJ5000X is also very sensitive to cold. After being at freezing temperatures for a while, it usually refuses to record more than few minutes, before it shuts down, even if the battery is fully charged. But the method above lets it to record ca 20 minutes even at -20° C.