Back to that heat thing...

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by RBEmerson, Jan 29, 2018.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

First off, support remains totally silent about ticket #23620 - the ticket where I listed and included the pictures of the IR thermometer readings as the camera heated up. Nothing - just crickets. I think there will be no answer.

I have one data point to consider. I spent (too much) time prepping my wife's new smartphone. I root all of our phones (assume full control of the phone's Android OS). It's the only way to get rid of "bloatware" - apps I have no interest in, or use for, and that phone providers insist must be in the phone. And they do it so "mere mortals" can't remove the bloatware. With rooting... die! bloatware die! Anyway...

The process of rooting and removing and installing and generally using the phone a lot means the phone's CPU and memory work a lot. The battery charge monitor also reports the CPU temperature. I've seen the CPU hit just under 60C, or around the SJ7's highest temperatures. In short: the SJ7 isn't alone in seriously heating up.

For anyone with other cameras than the SJ7, if you can do it one way or the other, I'd like to know how warm your camera gets. Taping an oven thermometer to the camera or something like will be fairly accurate.

I think the SJ7 case doesn't do the best job of heat dissipation. Hopefully the SJ8 will do a better job.

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I finally got a reply to my ticket. Support says heating is normal the metal case is for heat dissipation. If the camera's too hot to handle turn it off and let it cool down. V1.15 is supposed to be cooler.

I have no faith that anyone who knows the internal design of the camera was asked if 57C/135F is normal. Granted the metal frame does dissipate heat, the hottest point on the camera is near the processors. That area is covered by the plastic front cover.

If it's hot, don't use it. Um... the camera heats up in about 30 minutes. So why bother with the camera.

I've used V1.13 through V1.21r3 - no difference.

Bottom line: effin' useless response. I've closed the ticket.

As I noted above, when I really hammered a phone CPU, it reached about 55C / 130F (according to a battery app that reports CPU temperatures, too). The temperature dropped after I backed off. At this point I'll assume this temperature range is at least tolerated by the SJ7. However heat slowly kills electronics. The next camera will be one with better heat dissipation. Where that camera comes from is TBD.