Auto Formats SD Card when full?

Discussion in 'SJ6 LEGEND' started by caleb1, Jul 18, 2019.

1. caleb1

caleb1 New Member

I just took a trip and used my SJ 6 legend to get alot of irreplaceable footage.

I got home and plugged in my SD card and found out most of the footage was not there, and the SD Card not close to full (only aprox 2 gb out of 64 used)..... Only the later footage was showing up, not the earlier. I'm sure it was recording-so thats most likely not the problem.

I am realizing now that I think my SD card might have gotten full, and instead of giving me an error message it just formatted the card and started over?

Is this possible? Has this happened to anyone else. I never have gotten a card full errror on this camera for as long as I can remember so I am imagining this might be the case...
    The only other possibility was I accidentally formatted the card, but I don't think that would have been easy for me to do that without being aware of it..... ..

If this is true, would anyone know of any way to restore this data?

Many thanks,

Caleb

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Possibly you used either the Car mode or the Loop recording. When the card gets full, it starts overwriting older video (but does not format the card automatically first).
    You can't restore overwritten data. You may restore parts of videos, that are not overwritten completely. I have used ZAR for this (Zero Assumption Recovery). After that you should use some video recovery tool to fix broken (overwritten) parts of the video (you will loose these parts).
    If the card is accidentally formated, then the ŹAR would help to restore files too.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    caleb1 likes this.
  3. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

I agree with @Sulev Svilponis, perhaps the loop recording function was on and when the card was full, it was writing over older files.
    Exactly what he said, it is very difficult to recover files that were already written over.
    I use Recuva for most file recovery jobs, doing "Deep scan" enables you to get files back even after the card has been formatted.
    I haven't tried ZAR, might be worth the try.

caleb1 likes this.
  4. caleb1

caleb1 New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone

In my case it didnt seem as if stuff was overwritten as the card was not completely full. I probably accidentally formatted it.
    I did use a recover software to restore some files and it found some but they were all corrupt and unplayble.

To avoid overwriting in the future, I have to turn off loop recording?
    I always use loop recording to avoid having huge files. Loop recording shouldn't overwrite stuff if you ask me... this should be a separate setting...

5. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Corrupt video files are often fixable. You'll probably loose a part of the video, but the rest can be playable at full quality, after fixing. Fixing works especially well, when the video has corrupt by losing power. Then almost all frames will be available in the fixed video.
    If you select the Loop Recording mode, then you answer YES to the question, if to overwrite older files in case the card gets full.