Annoying crackling noise from the SJ8 Pro

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by Stani John, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Stani John

Stani John New Member

Hi Guy's. I'm getting an annoying noise from my SJ8 Pro while recording. The cam was inside the case and mounted on my helmet. Just the internal mic was picking up these strange noises. Please check out the video below and kindly help me solve it.

FYI, I'm on firmware V 1.3.0 and the recording was done at 4k 30 FPS.

If it's of any use, I also discovered there was slight fogging on the external case near the lens area.

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Have tried a bit of padding (bits of waded tissue or paper towel) to be sure the camera isn't moving in the case?

3. Stani John

Stani John New Member

Thanks for the reply. I actually tested it even out of the case, reinstalled firmware V1.3 and got the annoying noise after 7-8 Minutes of recording.

However I just got my external mic and while testing with the external mic, the noise is not there at all. So this fixes my issue but I do not know why it comes up without the external mic.

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Is the noise present when recording with the internal mic indoors, in vibration free environment?

5. Stani John

Stani John New Member

Yes, the noise comes even indoors, in vibration free environments.

6. RBEmerson

Bummer... SJCam QC strikes again. I guess it's no audio (IMHO the best choice for helmet cam shoots anyway) or an external mic.

Stani John likes this.
  7. Stani John

Stani John New Member

Yes SJCAM QC is very poor. I didn't face such issues with the SJ7 though. I like vlogging with my external mic but even here there is an issue with the SJ8.

The issue is that when the mic is kept near the mouth, my voice is blown out or is very sensitive, if I reduce the mic volume level, my voice is not heard. So this is another issue with the SJ8. However if the mic is kept near my neck level, my voice quality is decent and it doesn't get over blown. I'm still trying to find a fix for this issue.

8. RBEmerson

Unless there's some strong reason to not do it, I'd stay with an external mic. About the only time you can rely on avoiding mechanical noise reaching the mic is to keep the camera still. Video isn't meant to stand still. Plan B is to sync sound, with an audio recorder, and video, then combine them in editing. Not a lot of fun.