...and the reason has a name...sj9

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by Manolis, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Manolis

Manolis New Member

Now it makes a sense why no one (except troy) from sjcam is not answering all our requests.
    Why the bitrates are not getting better with the new firmware's...
    Why the "minor" bus are not solved...
    Why our tickets are stack in the queue...

SJ9 is coming, so all the effort is on this product, I suppose most of the known issues of sj8 will be resolved there.
    They will share the same HW as it looks like so they will have the same potentials, but sj9 will be more gopro like (waterprooof)

the only hope, except from god, we have is that new sj9 firmware will inherit some of the development also to sj8...
    until then...only 3rd party firmware will do the job.

I am sure that none official will reply on this :)

Also even if I am owner of 2 sjcams in the past, tell me a reason to be of a 3rd one also?

2. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    Because the support at SJCAM is so bad this was my last device from them. I also own two actioncams from them but the next will be from a different brand. As far as my experience is the support is good for all products or for non. After more than a year they can still not offer a working RAW converter for the SJ8 Pro!

3. quazar912

quazar912 Member

sales
    Home Page:
    that`s why I sold my 6 legend...I found some footage on YT with extraodirany picture...waaaay better than mine 6 legend...check it out:

so it is more than obvious that different product series have a different quality. This sould NOT be the case.

now I purchase gopro hero 7. can`t be that bad.

4. RelakS

RelakS New Member

Don't tell me :D
    I have an M10, which were as good as it is. Still a nice cam, but the age can be seen on its recordings.
    I have an SJ7 star also: while I don't remember any issue with the UI, the camera freezes randomly, after the freeze it forgets the time, the mounts are some proprietary design, and the mini USB is just a plain joke. Also, it inflated all of its batteries, so now it is very hard to get any of them out. I don't even use it for a very long time now.

I bought a Yi 4K+, but I don't really like how it handles the loop recording, so I may take a look on the SJ9, but after the SJ7 I am not so sure in it.

5. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    As on the website of SJCAM https://sjcam.com/product/sj9/ the new cameras will feature the same Sony image sensors as in the SJ8 Plus and Pro.
    I guess the RAW converter will be not ready and/or as buggy as the one for the SJ8 Pro.
    I also guess the 1080p bitrates will be as bad as in the SJ8 series.
    What the hell shall wireless charing bring, fast charge via USB-C is all that is required?
    Dual microphones for stereo support are useless fo me as I alway turn of the audio recording.
    I think the only real new benefit will be the improved image stabilization, but the one in the SJ8 Pro is already quiet good.
    It is also water resistent without the waterproof case (10m). Not a real benefit for me.
    I can not see yet any feature sexy enough to invest in the new system, especially because the support was so bad in the past.

Stani John likes this.
  6. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

AFAIK, SJ8 Plus and SJ8 Pro have different image sensors. The RAW converter for SJ8 Plus works just fine! The bitrate for SJ8 Plus is not so bad at 1080p.

7. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    The one for the SJ8 Pro does not work, not even after all the time that has passed since the product was released.
    The respective trouble ticket is now open for month!

8. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    What do you consider as not bad?

For good 1080p at least 30-50MBit/s for H.264 (aka AVC) is mandatory.
    The 1080p bitrates for the top line cam (SJ8 Pro) is a big joke.

Stani John likes this.
  9. kamkar

kamkar Elite

I like my new camera ( Osmo action ) don't have any selection for bitrates / image quality, it just seem to lay it on no matter what you do with it.
    SJ9 better bring it good if they want to sell.

Not sure what will come with the osmo action and new firmwares, it do have a few downs with the launch firmware, but the pocket also had that and it have to a large degree been fixed.
    Will be interesting to see the SJ9 Vs the osmo action and GP7 black, with the right combination of image quality / features & price it can be a good alternative, but Sjcam got to up the game i think.

10. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I am talking about SJ8 Plus! Is it so hard to understand?
    Is your osmo free from this problem?

11. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Yes no condensation on my camera, but also it have not been near cold or warm water.
    But the issue do seem strange and IMO should not be there, i think it would be a good idea to have the camera at home with no battery in it so it have a chance of evaporating any condensation.

No not hard to understand you talk about your SJ8plus, i just mentioned my new camera too in this SJ9 thread as it too have some things that can be better out of the gate.
    I would prefer a option to choose sharpness level and contrast too, alongside a few other things like maybe a "baby" rocksteady that was then able to work under 4K/30 HDR too.
    But dji are probably faster at fixing those problems with firmware, at least if i am to compare with the osmo pocket progress, and my old SJ cameras and what i have read online about the sjcam FW team, which i do believe are at the heart of this thread too.

And just to make sure NO i am not hating on SJcam, i like the 3 cameras i have and really personal i have not had all that many problems or should i say unresolved problems with them.
    And i would love to give the new SJ9 a spin beside my osmo action, and like many online now comparing that camera to the gopro 7 black i will not forget to say that this are of course comparing a mature 1 year old camera Vs a brand new one with 1 firmware to its name so far.

Being objective seem to be a problem to many people, and also why i would not do reviews as such on cameras of any kind, i will tell all how i feel about a camera thats for sure, and i would try my best to help people to make a informed decisions weather or not to buy a camera.

12. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I thought I'd posted this video. Here it goes again. (Oops, I did post this in another thread. I'll leave the post up either because I want more views, maybe more subscribers, or to advance this thread's discussion. Choose one or more of the above. LOL)

The important point is this video was shot at 1080P@60 fps, and the bit rate is 36 Mb/s. The stock rate is around 25 Mb/s. How this conversion is done is listed in the video commentary. There is a link to the firmware source.
    Warning! Warning! Using custom firmware might brick your camera! Warning! Warning!
    If you break something, don't say we didn't warn you.

To get the full ...um... experience, use 4K (download and view if your link is too slow).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Stani John likes this.