50 fps modes

Discussion in 'SJ6 LEGEND' started by AndyLG, Oct 24, 2017.

1. AndyLG

AndyLG Member

Hi!
    I like to test with my sj6 legend trying all the settings and I have found something odd.
    Are 50 fps modes REAL 50 fps modes? For my eyes, they are less fps, I would say 30 FPS plus doubled frames 1 by 2 of them or something like that. The difference is huge vs 60 fps which are real, I wonder if 50 fps modes are buggy.
    Could anyone confirm this? I tried to check how does perform 50 fps mode on low light conditions, but results aren't pleasant to eyes...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  2. Daro

Daro Member

Hello, Can you add a video sample from your camera? Please specify what software you have on your camera.

AndyLG likes this.
  3. AndyLG

AndyLG Member

Hi!
    Yes, look, this an small video recorded at 1080p 50 fps mode but is clearly seen doubled frames while moving my hand.
    The low light mode setting is set off.

Also, here is another small video recorded at 1080p 60 fps where the movement of my hand is smooth as supposed to be. Also low light mode setting is off.
    The difference is huge!

My firmware is v1.4.8

4. Jason

Jason Moderator

What's it like when used in brighter light? That first clip looks darker than the second - the camera might be switching the fps to cope with low light conditions.

5. AndyLG

AndyLG Member

Let me check, give me some minutes and I will edit this post.
    But if this is the case, then this is a BUG, because on 60 fps there isn't this problem and more important, at 60 fps the sensor get less light than 50 fps (1/50 > 1/60)

EDIT:
    Here is the footage with every light of the room on... no changes on visual frame rate

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  6. AndyLG

AndyLG Member

1080p 50fps is fake, a shame. Here under sunlight (cloudy day)

Please sjcam fix this in future firmwares

7. Jason

Jason Moderator

The youtube files seem to downloading as 25fps for me.

I did manage to download the outside vid and opened it up in blenders VSE. Skipping through the frames one by one does look like there's double frames there.

I done a couple of test clips today at 1080p50fps but doing the same with these looked as if each frame was different (at least in the sections I checked) and were 50fps.

What are the other settings on you camera?

8. AndyLG

AndyLG Member

I tried with fish eye on and off, metering center and average, always low light mode off, gyro off, high bitrate, wide angle, 0 ev, color normal, auto wb, wdr off, 3 mins loop recording, frequency 60 hz and (also tried with 50 hz without changes in frame rate).
    I did the white pixels wipe procedure. Nothing changes the doubled framerate at 1080p50fps.

9. Daro

Daro Member

Unfortunately, SJCAM has a lot of bugs and failures. Although it is a cheap camera, its software should be fine-tuned, and here the manufacturer tests its product on customers and prompts them to wait for software updates. I honestly would not buy more of their product anymore. Definitely better to put a little more money and buy something from which we will be pleased from the beginning.

10. AndyLG

AndyLG Member

...days, almost a week and sjcam doesn't say a word. Still don't know if is my unit or the firmware the faulty at 50 fps mode

11. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

12. Daro

Daro Member

These are samples from my sj6legend camera. Camera settings: gyro off, low light off, wide angle, frequency 50hz, distorsion correction off, you can compare the recordings.

13. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I hardly see any difference. But I know, that Youtube processes uploaded videos and is therefore not so good channel for comparing video quality. Did you compare the original video, frame by frame?

14. AndyLG

AndyLG Member

Done, hope they can help me

My eyes tell me that you have doubled frames too, 1 each 2 or 3...

I watched my videos frame by frame and they have doubled frames

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  15. Daro

Daro Member

Now you have a comparison with two cameras and you see, that the 50 fps mode is a fake. The same is true for 4k resolutions. I think nobody here will not help you, don't use 50fps mode, or buy better camera, sony or gopro.

16. MauriceWhite

MauriceWhite New Member

These cams in low light conditions double frames, especially in high fps. The only way to force real frames is override Low Light Mode on settings.
    In low light conditions the low framerate the better results keeping in mind that action cams produce poor results on low light.

About 25 or 50fps is not a question of doubled frames. Is a bug on SJCams, I have many talks with SJ and it seems that firmware team is not able to correct this.
    They added 25/50fps lately but or the cam doesn't allow it or the FW team is not capable to correct it.

If you play a video recording made with enought light with any Video Editor (like Premiere) and play forward frame-by-frame you will notice that there are no double frames. It seems a question of bad shutterspeed or a realtime conversion of captured footage at 30 fps saved to 25fps (and captured 60fps saved to 50fps).

17. AndyLG

AndyLG Member

About that, I can tell you, that at least my unit, no matter the light condition (with low light mode off) ALWAYS it gives to me doubled frames each 2 or 3 frames when resolution is set to 1080 50 fps. I agree with you this is clearly a bug, because the camera give perfect 60 fps regardless light conditions, but can't do the same with the mode in discussion. IMO, if you can't give a decent solution, then is better remove that mode at all. For me at least, is very unpleasant to watch videos with dropped frames which is the feeling I get in this mode. If you play videogames in a not powerful enough pc, you will understand the feeling of watch dropped frames in a motion

18. AndyLG

AndyLG Member

Hopefully cameras like the yi 4k + or the next sj8 could do better, but one is expensive and the other I expect it expensive. I guess I just need to wait for a price cut or a better firmware for the sj6 legend, which is pretty good for its price, but currently, xiaomi could cannibalize this cam with their mijia 4k: better hardware and sensor for lower price. It's only minus is the lack of ext mic.

19. Daro

Daro Member

Camera SJ6 Legend, is getting older and slowly support for her will expire. So if it is not good enough for you, buy better that you will not be tired by wasting time on the forum trying to make changes.

20. AndyLG

AndyLG Member

Here we had saying here: "guagua que no llora no mama" which means something like "baby who doesn't cry, doesn't get breastfeed". We have to expose errors of the firmware in order to have the chance to be fixed. Also sjcam does a nice job listening to their consumers.

JasonD likes this.