2 Problems with my new M20 ...

Discussion in 'M20' started by Junkie, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Junkie

Junkie New Member

Hello,

i just bought a SJCAM M20 and tested it on my racebike ... video and audio qualtiy is really good and i am satisfied with my new camera. I Upgraded to Firmware 1.31. But i have 2 problems.... if i use tha camera on my racebike in the waterproof case the camera becomes foggy after about 5-10 minutes ... i removed the seal from the backdoor of the waterproof case and the problem was gone ... anyone else with this problem?? Weather was dry and warm.

The Second Problem is that if i put the saved video files together there is a lag of roughly 3 seconds which are missing ...
    i already tried another SD Card (both Class 10, SanDisk Extreme and Samsung Evo) ... still the same. I did a factory reset...still the same ... switched back to Firmware v1.30, still the same ... also still the same when recording in lower resolution (720p/25fps) ... Anyone who has an idea ???
    Support ist already working on it but maybe someone got the same problem ??

Regards, Guido

2. testy

testy New Member

hi, i have firmware version 1.3.1 and with 720p at 30fps video-resolution and recording in 10 minutes videofiles there is an overlap of 1 second. If i concatenate those parts to a longer video, i cut off the last second of the videoparts like this:

avconv -i /media/myuser/M20/DCIM/Movie/2017_0729_151929_027.MOV -t 600 -c copy 1.mov
    avconv -i /media/myuser/M20/DCIM/Movie/2017_0729_152929_028.MOV -t 600 -c copy 2.mov
    etc.
    and merge those

mkvmerge --append-mode file -o long_file.mkv 1.mov +2.mov +3.mov ...

i am using linux and some distributions use "ffmpeg" instead of "avconv", but the commandline-options are the same.
    -t 600 = use only 600 seconds of the movie
    and
    -c copy = do not re-encode, this is nearly as quick as a filecopy
    and
    mkvmerge concats those parts without re-encode and therefore is very quick too (and not with high cpu-usage).

When cutting out parts of a recorded .MOV-video without re-encoding (quick) and the sound is distorted (like white noise), the only fix is to use a different start-time for the cutting, because the audio-part (like the video) cannot be cut at any second without re-encoding.

3. HYPA Berlin

HYPA Berlin New Member

Got the same problem...At least the second one ;( 1sec overlap is given in when you shoot in loop recording mode, but like with Junkie's cam, filming in continous mode for a longer period, the resulting clips (due to the 4gig filesize restriction of FAT32) are missing some seconds from clip to clip... Like Junkie mentioned support is looking into this issue...;)

4. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

Using 'Avidemux', cut every crip head 1.0 sec, and connect each. Just OK.:)

5. HYPA Berlin

HYPA Berlin New Member

Well... can't cut 1 sec, because the clips are not overlappin 1 sec... there's missing 3 sec's from clip to clip... when ther's no overlap, no chance of gettin a complete merge...

6. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

Lost 3 sec can not recover. So use Loop Recording mode and cut overlapping 1 sec.

7. HYPA Berlin

HYPA Berlin New Member

Well, thats what I'm forced do atm... But that's not the point... it should work in continious mode, too... Continous Recording is useless for me at the moment... And using looprec there's always the chance, that if the card is full and you don't stop recording, it goes over your previous recorded clips... that's what looped recording was made for... record as long as the camera is running without beeing limited by the sdcardsize... Hope you get the point...

8. testy

testy New Member

foggy watercase -- i did "fix" it like this, with some holes made with a small wood-drill.

I did use the open clip-cage-holder for some time till it got broken at the bottom. The screw-nut did break the cage at the bottom from the vibrations while driving with bicycle.

and a bigger hole to plug in a powerbank. And for shure, i wont go diving with my bike. DSCF0042-1024x1024.jpg

an a hole for the micro and a piece of foam to reduce the windnoise.
    DSCF0043-1024x1024.jpg

HYPA Berlin likes this.
  9. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

If the fog appears inside the case, then the camera has been in a warm and moist environment, before inserting into the case. To avoid such fogging keep the camera in a cool and dry room before inserting into the case. Air conditioned rooms are good. It is best, if the room temperature is lower than the temperature, at which the camera is planned to use. Let the camera to warm up inside the case to the temperature, at which it will be used (or slightly higher), to avoid fogging of the outer surface of the case window.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    HYPA Berlin likes this.
  10. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

We have a thread troubleshooting foggy cases.

HYPA Berlin likes this.
  11. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Hi.
    Removing the silicone that the backdoor is lined with will have pros and cons.

Pros:
    1. Pressure from within the case caused by expanding gases as the camera components heat up will be released, thus, no condensation of water particles in the waterproof housing.
    2. No need to put dessicant packets or anti-moisture strips anymore.

Cons: 1. Since the silicone seal takes up space where it is sandwiched between the main part and the backdoor, removing it will cause the backdoor to rattle noisily when the camera is in motion and it will be heard in the recording, ruining your video.
    2. When the time comes that you need to put the silicone seal back into place, like when submerging it in water, or in subjecting it to medium to heavy rain, new nicks and scratches where the seal used to be while removed will be a risk to the hermetic seal that it is intended for.

About the lapse in recording, it may have something to do with starting and stopping the recording, but it is best that you contact support about this. Not sure if this is inherent in video chunk recording.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    HYPA Berlin likes this.
  12. HYPA Berlin

HYPA Berlin New Member

Hi, Troy...

Already had a conversation with the customer service... We did some testing together, but no succsess.. They told me they'll fix it in the next firmware... So hopefully when the next firmware arrives, I do not have to worry about loosing footage in loop recording mode anymore...;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  13. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

Hello, did you have a ticket number?

sjcam_admin likes this.
  14. HYPA Berlin

HYPA Berlin New Member

Jop... Had a direct chat via facebook and I got the ticketnumber #20695... But it's closed by now
    Would be nice if we could get this fixed in the next firmware... If you need someone to test things, feel free to contact me...;)