128GB Card

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by TSH, Jul 25, 2017.

1. TSH

TSH New Member

I just bought the cam and would like to know which 128GB sd card is recommended for the cam? How important is the speed of the card?

2. Kailash Jobanputra

Kailash Jobanputra New Member

Speed of the card is very important if you want to record 4K videos. I would recommended atleast class 10 memory card. Personally I have not tried 128 GB card in the camera, but I use the 64 GB Samsung EVO Plus (100 MBPS) class 10 card and its working very nice. I you don't want to shoot 4 K videos then the least recommendation would be to buy class 6 or above card. Don't go below class 6 as then your videos will be pathetic.

3. WildThang

WildThang New Member

I think class 10 for sjcams is minimum. UHS 3 is when the camera is more comfortable. Slow memory cards tend to be a problem.

4. TSH

TSH New Member

Big thanks for the help!!! I want to record everything in 4K. This is why I would go for 128GB. What speed is recommended for 4K recording?
    Some Class 10 cards have a speed of 80 MB/s and other Class 10 cards have up to 270 MB/s but costs ways more. Is 80MB/s really Class 10 as that would be 3 times slower as 270MB/s Class 10 cards?

5. gal8gal

gal8gal New Member

for 4k video you need at least 60 MB/s write speed (not read speed).

6. kamkar

kamkar Elite

No he dont you are confusing the 60 mbit bitrate ( Mb/s ) 4K is recorded in, with the MB/s used to say how fast memory cards are.

Try to set your SJ7 camera to 4K and record a 3 minute long file, then take the size of that file xxxx Megabytes and divide that with the 3 minutes ( 180 seconds ) you have recorded and you will see what speed in MB/s the camera was writing to the memory card.

The Sj7 star really just need a good class 10 U1 card with a write speed over 20 MB/s

BUT ! i have been using my 128 Gb Toshiba U3 card in the SJ7 and it work fine though it is a slow U3 card with just 30 - 40 MB/s write speed.

http://sjcamhd.com/community/threads/sj6-legend-jerky-video.167/#post-792

If what you say is true then with 60 MB/s that will be 600 MB for just 10 seconds for recording and so a 1 minute 4 K recording should be 3600 MB or 3.5 Gigabytes in size.

Not even expensive Sony action cameras that can use 100 mbit bitrate will create that big files for a 1 minute recording.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  7. TSH

TSH New Member

8. kamkar

kamkar Elite

That should do you just fine, i am looking myself to add one of those to my test suite of memory cards.

9. Ray Sanders

Ray Sanders New Member

Samsung 128GB EVO+ UHS-I microSDXC Memory Card
    This is the card I use and it works great.