1080P SUPER WIDE Quality

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Ron O, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Ron O

Ron O New Member

I'm not impressed with the 1080P superwide quality. It looks like a digitally stretched picture at a lower resolution. There is also a strange dark triangle in the upper LH corner in all recordings. Any idea what this is?

Attached Files:

2. zigzager

zigzager New Member

A strange dark triangle in the upper left hand corner is really strange ;) Does it appear on all your SV videos?

As it comes SV mode...IT IS a stretched video. Action Cam stretches 4:3 format to a 16:9 one. That's all it does. With poor optics and algorithms the result may not be satisfactory.

3. Ron O

Ron O New Member

I've only done limited testing of the SV mode. Will have to check if it impacts all resolutions.

4. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Like what @zigzager said about the SV.
    That's SV alright, the images are stretched and it's the only way to fill the 16:9 format using what 4:3 can see.

That dark triangle, not sure what it is but it appears physical. Can you check if there's anything on the lens? if this is mounted on a waterproof case, also check that.
    I may be wrong, but that doesn't appear like a sensor artifact to me. Let us know if you see anything.

5. Ron O

Ron O New Member

I just tried 1080P superwide without the case. The dark triangle is not in the video. Possibly something with the case??

6. Ron O

Ron O New Member

Just tried with the case 1080P superwide setting. No triangle this time. Must have been something on the case lens that I could not see.