1080p freezes the SJ7 (brand new camera)

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by DM40, Dec 31, 2017.

1. DM40

DM40 New Member

Hi there,
    Have any of you had this issue ?
    On a brand new SJ7 (FW 1.18) : if you select any of the 1080p mode the camera will freeze as soon as you press the touch screen or any button. (with or without microSD card on it)
    Even after rebooting, as the 1080p is still selected, you press anything then the camera freezes, sometimes the video playback is frozen too, sometimes not, but the sure thing is you cannot use the camera at all.
    Not great for a first experience...
    So I had to update the firmware (FW1.20) by copying the firmware.bin on the microSD card then boot, hoping for the camera to install a non buggy version. The update process worked and I could access the menu because the new default resolution is 4K. I've tried to film 4K, 2.7K, 2.5K and it worked, but as soon as I select 1080p the camera will freeze as soon as you press the shutter button or any other. So again the only way to get the camera to work is to flash it, so the default resolution is not 1080p.
    The thing is : I NEED 1080p to WORK as it should. WTF with this camera ? I even tried FW1.15, same problem.
    Any thought ?

2. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Not a clue sorry, 1080p works perfectly for me.

Try setting it back to factory settings and see what happens. Option is under settings, set to default.

3. DM40

DM40 New Member

Updating a firmware already resets the cam. So there won't be any difference. In addition to that, sjcam zone won't display any image on my phone but that's another issue. Had to open a support ticket and will most likely send this piece of crap back.

4. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Correct, installing firmware leaves the camera with all settings in their default state.

The SJCam video app is not a very good app for lots of reasons (poor GUI, poor connection management, etc.). That being said, the app/camera link does work. I've run it continuously for several hours with 90% reliability; the link does break on occasion, but for no obvious reason.

Be sure you know the camera's WiFI ID and password (IMHO, a password is an incredibly lame feature for a camera). Be sure the camera's WiFi is enabled and on (green WiFi icon).

On your phone, do not launch the app until the camera is connected to the phone. Use your phone's connection options to be sure you've connected to the camera. Deal with the "no Internet connection" warning, if any, from the phone. How all of this is accomplished depends on your phone, OS, etc., etc.

After the phone and camera have a WiFi connection, start the app. Tap the "phone and camera" icon, bar, whatever (bad UI). Tap the blue camera bar (bad UI). At that point you should have video from the camera. As I said, the app has real UI issues and doesn't know how to ask the phone to look for the camera after a connection was previously made. But it does work and usually stays that way.

But, if you think the SJ7 is a piece of crap, send it back, and have fun figuring out the next camera...

Troy likes this.
  5. DM40

DM40 New Member

Well my main concern is the impossibility to set 1080p without freezing the camera. This is being addressed by the support team, I'll keep you posted.
    Regarding the app, I can deal with a bad app, not with a faulty camera. Regarding this thing being a piece of crap, well I believe it's a good piece of equipment, just sad mine didn't work out of the box as you would expect. Too many things are being integrated in the firmware but few are really working as they should, regarding the posts on this forum. I would rather prefer see only a few options but with top notch efficiency.

6. RBEmerson

Walk us through everything you do to get to a locked up camera. Please understand I don't work for SJCam and have zero point zero "juice" with the company. NTL I can't think of why changing resolution locks up the camera.

From your earlier posts, I take it you reloaded the firmware. Did you try V1.15? I think this is probably the most reliable SJ7 FW version.

I agree the ticket process has begun to move at a near-glacial speed. Which is Not A Good Thing.

7. DM40

DM40 New Member

Well if you want to see the issue in action, I've made a quick video to demonstrate how it happens :
    I've managed to flash by using the firmware.bin file, not the update.bin because the camera was locked up. I've tried with 1.15, as I could read from yourself it was a reliable version ;) but no success, same issue.

8. RBEmerson

Oooooohhh... really, really not lovin' changing SD's while the SJ7 is powered up.

(I'm back - took time off to get a life for a couple hours <- humor)

I'm very puzzled by what seem to be frame rates of 100 fps and 50 fps, instead of 120 fps and 60 fps. I just manually changed the light frequency setting from Auto to 50 Hz and went back to check resolution and frame rate options. The options are still 120 and 60 fps (didn't look at any 30 fps settings). Something in those rates seems, to me, to be very odd.

9. Jason

Jason Moderator

TV mode is set to PAL. Setting lighting to 50hz or 60hz means I can make flicker free vids at 25/50/100/200fps in areas with 60hz mains.

I'm in the UK so a 25fps base camera traditionally fits in better with the 50hz mains, US is 60hz mains hence the 30fps base.

10. RBEmerson

Uh... OK, I guess, but somehow stepping away from "divisible by 6" rates seem a bit odd in that I don't recall seeing "divisible by 5" rates in editors. But then maybe they're all "divisble by 6"-centric - what do I know? [/shrug]

11. Jason

Jason Moderator

30fps is predominant in the Americas, Antarctica and Japan, 25fps is predominant elsewhere. The editors I've looked at are all capable of doing both.

However I doubt the fps base is causing the issue here as I use 25fps without problems.

12. Blink Blink

Blink Blink New Member

Definitly a fault with the camera. Would be better to get this replaced mate

RBEmerson likes this.
  13. RBEmerson

Duh... my error. 24.(whatever) and 25 fps are indeed common frame rates. I suppose 100 fps makes sense for slo-mo.

I'd like to see a back to back, "pick the frames apart" comparison between 50/60 fps and 120/100 fps. Maybe I should hang my camera out of a car window and shoot some of each. But with temps well into the sub-zero C/ teens and single digits F, ain't no way I'm doing it on the bike. Not even with my heated jacket and grips.

14. RBEmerson

What he said.

15. Jason

Jason Moderator

Perhaps we should start a hall of fame listing who finds what faults first?

Troy likes this.
  16. RBEmerson

My introduction to SJCam was a DOA camera. DM40 isn't the only documented failure we've seen here.

Keep in mind most happy users don't write "yep, still workin' and I'm still smilin'" posts. The dissatisfied users are certainly more like to post about their dissatisfaction. This is true of cameras, cars, computers, or anything else. All of this creates an unbalanced sense of a product's reliability, including DOA and after-use problems.

Without knowing the actual failure rate requiring a return or significant support activity; any conclusions about reliability are likely to be in error.

17. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Another way to isolate the card is to remove it, then power the camera on, switch to 1080p, press the shutter. If the same thing happens, it's obviously not card related.

I know this may sound weird, but also try downloading the firmware file again from the site, save it to a different directory, extract, then copy the contents to a different card. What I am trying to say is we need to isolate the firmware, the download, the extraction process, and the card, from the equation.

I am thinking that since the camera can record anyway, it is just a software glitch.

18. DM40

DM40 New Member

I ended up sending the camera back to Gearbest because I could fix the issue with the SJCAM support. Then like a masochist I've order the SJ7 again from Amazon this time. The new one is working fine as you would expect.

19. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    I’m not a massive fan of gearbest and their alternatives. I’ve had 3 different cameras, the m20, sj5000 x and the sj7 all from amazon and not a single problem with either.

Glad you’ve got a working camera now, hope you enjoy it.

20. RBEmerson

Side comment: the number of times GearBest is involved in DOA's and return problems leaves me wondering if the isn't a better vendor. Amazon, for example. I have zero idea how accessible Amazon is from India, Singapore, etc. If buying from Gearbest is based on price, remember "you get what you pay for". The are exceptions, but... I'm just sayin'.