1.20 firmware update failed

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by magicbob, Feb 1, 2018.

1. magicbob

magicbob New Member

Hi,

I'm in Asia and just started trying out the camera.

I don't have an SD Card reader with me. Someone here stated you may be able to do the update with the SJ7 plugged into the USB port of the PC .

I extracted the two firmware files to the camera .

I turned off, then on ... the camera did not update. Still displays 1. 18.

I followed instructions if the firmware update didn't update. I went to version and it still displayed 1.18 and tapping it didn't start the update.

When i ejected the camera from the PC, I was unable to turn it off. I left it for several hours and found it off. I charged it and can turn it on again. Still 1.18.

Note that with this blank, new 64gb SD card there was no option for FAT32. I had to use 128. Windows PC. It's not the computer as initially I inserted a 32gb card which did offer the FAT32 option, but I didn't use this card as it had some files I might need.

What's my next step?

Thanks.
    Bob

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

SD's can be formatted with exFAT as FAT32.

If the camera doesn't shutdown immediately after being disconnected from any external power source, PC, Mac, or external battery, pull the battery out of the camera. Leaving the camera connected while hoping it will power down is not very productive.

I strongly recommend using the file browser's eject function before disconnecting the camera. Without going into the details, it's possible that the SD's contents can be corrupted without using eject. - Most of the time pulling the plug or SD will work. But not always. If there's important data on the SD, it may be lost. The are no guarantees either way, but eject is strongly recommended.

You do not need a card reader to install SJ_FIRMWARE.bin. Connect the camera, as you have done, tap the MASS STORAGE option on the screen. When the camera shows up in the file browser, copy SJ_FIRMWARE.bin to the root of the SJ7 files. That is, do not put it in any of the folders. If you do, it cannot be found and used by the updater.

The battery must be fully charged before proceeding. Eject the SJ7, power it up, step down to the FW version number on the screen, tap it, tap the white rectangle with a circle in it. The screen will go dark. Do not power down the camera!! When the update is complete, the screen will light up briefly and then power down. Once this has happened, the update is complete. All menu settings will be returned their default values. Only the calendar and time of day are untouched. Change the settings to whatever you've been using.

3. magicbob

magicbob New Member

Hi

Where do I find exfat to be able to format as FAT32?

Thanks
    Bob

4. RBEmerson

Let the SJ7 format the SD. Since you don't have a card reader, the SD can't be formatted, on a PC/Mac, with exFAT.

5. magicbob

magicbob New Member

Where is the for form choice?

I no longer have a computer accessible to me. Can I download the firmware on an Android phone or tablet?

I never receive alerts that I have replies here have alerts set. Maybe in the wrong place... Where do I set this?

Thank you for your help.

Bob

6. RBEmerson

No, you can't do it with any phone - Android or iOS.

Alert options - see the upper right corner of the main page (shows all topics) for watch forum, same place on a topic page to follow only a given topic/thread.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  7. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Actually it could be possible with an android phone, just not so easy. You’d need to pick up an external card reader that can connect to the micro USB port via OTG. Then download the firmware and copy to the card as you would if you were using a laptop.

At present neither the SJ7 or the 5000x support firmware upgrades via the SJapp unfortunately.